Friday, February 5, 2010

Do-over

"In separateness lies the world's great misery; in compassion lies the world's true strength"
-Budda

Yesterday was one of those days. Anger was stronger than joy. Impatience more insistent than acceptance. Frustration more apparent than calm and presence. It's funny how in those times, for me at least, it seems like those emotions have an impossibly tight grip on me. And even more, I find myself rebelling against what I most need - to take a deep breath and begin again. I was stuck in what my mother used to lovingly call 'pity-parties!' 

It's in those times when I most need to have a 'do-over.' Even if we have to do it five times a day! Just stop everything, and start again. Let go of the things that build up over the course of the day. The little things that toddlers are such persistent experts at, like whining for something over and over and over or deciding that it would be fun to do the opposite of everything asked, or testing the gravity of everything on their high chair tray. You know. Those things add up.

So last night, after a a day in which I was not the kind of mama I would like to be, I just said, "let's have a do-over." So I got out the trampoline and we all went from grimacing to grinning, separate to together. Though anger can be quite contagious, compassion is much stronger and more healing and so much more liberating. It is amazing how forgiving little people can be. Instantly, they are willing to forgive and love and let their joy pour out. What a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment